What is the Representative Payee Program (Rep Payee)?
The purpose of the program is to ensure that each individual’s needs and payment obligations are met on a timely basis.
Rep Payee manages Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Disability Income (SSDI) benefits for individuals who have been instructed by the Social Security Administration to obtain an institutional payee or who have difficulty managing these funds on their own.
How Will The Rep Payee Program Meet My Needs?
The Rep Payee Director will work with you to build a monthly budget that meets your day-to-day needs for food, shelter, utility payments and transportation. Then, available funds can be used for medical or personal needs, past creditors and recreational expenses. If funds are still available at the end of the month, a personal savings plan will be strongly encouraged and developed. As your Rep Payee, we will keep record of benefit checks received and how the money is spent on a monthly basis. SSI/DI checks will be directly deposited into the Rep Payee collective bank account. Each individual account balance is kept confidential and is only accessible to the client and those individuals approved by the client.
How Will I Benefit From this Program?
- Basic needs will be met from month-to-month
- Decreased stress, anxiety and frustration about money
- Increased communication between service providers, agencies and landlords
- Limited access to available funds so they can be spent wisely
- Reduced evictions
- Improved accountability to self and others
Is There A Fee for This Service?
Yes. A fee, not to exceed $44 per month, will be charged. If, for any reason, monthly benefits are not received from Social Security, there will be no fee assessed until that income is received by MHA.
Important Messages from MHA:
- We recommend you have a case worker before asking MHA to be your payee.
- For more information, call the Representative Payee Program at 314-773-6752.